Friday, June 15, 2007

Why suddenly...?

Did you not hear this expression when somebody said, I am resigning? Especially, from your boss when you told him you are quitting. The typical response is 'Why?', 'I am shocked to hear this', 'I never expected, that "you" would do this', etc etc. BULL SHIT!!

If I were a team leader, I exactly know who is reporting to me, what is the work being carried out, what are individual aspirations, what is the value addition to each team member and how each person is peforming. Even if a small disconnect between individual's expectation from the organization and his/her aspiration ignites the negative thinking. I fully support the theory that people quit not from the organization, but from their immediate boss.

And to enlighten the poor boss's soul, the chicken starts to think at the first negative sign and many things keep adding up. Finally the individual either encounters a spike that completely demotivates him/her or reaches a saturation state accumulating all the encounters in the past (like illogical appraisal talks etc). This process could take anytime from 6 months to one year. And then the employee announces his decision to be free from the boss (not from the organization). So my dear bosses, when somebody says I want to resign, please dont pretend to put a shocking expression on your face. You better be aware of whats happening in your team and atleast verify where the 'disconnect' is. Mere talking does not help, act.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Dear Friend,
I heard that you are joining an organization again, which you left sometimes back and written these beutiful thoughts.

May I know what makes you change your mind? thoughts?

If you feel you are alone in this corporate world, dont feel so. Just cry for help and I am sure you will get some helping hand.

Regards,
Your Friend

Vijay said...

Dear Anonymous, I published your comment so that everybody can read your spelling mistake. Next, if you are anonymous and wants to know something from me, just take it easy.