Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Of late interest in Carnatic Classical

I have always been a fan of good music, more so for our traditional Indian music, whether Carnatic or Hindustani. I always cherished MSS, Annamacharya, Thyagaraja's compilations right from my childhood days. I think one of the best ways to beat stress is, listen to good music or if possible, even play some 'good' music. One can play good music from a musical instrument and requires some basic lessons and practice. Then I started looking for some music schools in Bangalore and especially around Bellandur, Sarjapur area. I found http://easternfare.googlepages.com/branches in google. I still need to check out where & how much. While lazing around in the weekends, one fine day I also found that there is another music school somewhere near Marathalli. The poster is put in the musical instrumets shop inside Innovative Multiplex. I forgot the name and did not note the phone number. Will check it out again next time I go to Multiplex (I go there once in 6 months).

Anyway, while things were progressing as I described above, one of my friends told me about Indiranagar Sangeetha Sabha. Though I am very much familiar with Indiranagar Club in Bangalore, I never noticed Purandara Bhavana right behind Indiranagar Club !! Shame on me. Nevermind, I went there on last Friday for a discourse on Thyagaraja in English by Vishaka Hari. I think she is popular among Classical Carnatic music community. Since I never had been to a classical music concert in Bangalore, I did not hear about her. Anyway, I went there with my wife on Friday evening for a 2.5 hour discourse. It was quite interesting with three familiar keerthanas and many un-familiar ones to me. I could atleast understand the context of those familiar keerthans composed by great Thyagaraja. It was a great evening, followed by dinner at Little Italy on Indiranagar 100 ft road.

No comments: